Find out about: Callington Heritage Centre
The Heritage Centre is housed in an old chapel within the Town Cemetery. This building dates from the latter half of the 19c but has recently been refurbished.
Roadside parking is free outside the Heritage Centre on Liskeard Road.
Refreshments and toilet facilities are available in Callington Town Centre.
A range of books, documents, records and photographs are available for anyone to view.
Some local history books are also available to purchase.
Exhibitions and Projects
Callington Heritage Center Archive Listing
28 June 13 to 31 December 16
Where: Callington Heritage Center
Our Next Event
Then and Now History Begins Yesterday
When: 03 April 2015 to 30 October 2015
Where: Callington Heritage Centre
Being a small venue, many items are stored in the archive. These items need regular checks to see that they remain in good condition. It seemed a good idea to exhibit some of these, and next year the exhibition will be themed "Then and Now", showing how once familiar items fell out of use and were replaced. Our oldest items are mineral rocks, with a few "imported strangers", such as the flint recovered from Kit Hill. Maps from the late 18th century onwards show how the town grew, and what still remains in use from this earlier period. Street furniture changed from granite mile stones (some with the government arrow indicating they were cut by prisoners at Dartmoor), with additional names and designs, up to modern characterless sign posts. The market closed and a residential home, called Chyvaras after the market, now stands on the site. New Road was driven right through the hotel on Fore Street, what remains of the hotel is now residential flats and shops. The Tollgate was once just that, a toll gate, decorated with tiles produced in a local works. The tannery, gas works and much sub-standard housing have been demolished. Most of the public houses have new uses. Banners, china, medals and bills recall chapel, friendly societies and businesses which bear new names. It is the history of a small town marked by inevitable gaps and with chance survivals giving it substance. We hope you will be able to visit.
Click the button above to add this museum to your MyMuseum wish list. Once added you can choose to save this for future visits or email the Museum details to a friend.
This picture is from the extensive collection in the Heritage Centre. It is a view of Calstock Viaduct and clearly shows the wagon lift from the quay to the railway, front left. This became disused and was sold as scrap to Germany in the late 1930s.
Our Latest news
28 August 2015
See the www.learnenglish.de site, Prior to 1834 the Bank of England observed about 33 sain...read more
14 August 2015
August 15th 1945 (Victory in Japan) signalled the official end to WWII. Individual Japanes...read more
Admission & Prices
Opening times: Fridays 10.00 - 16.00 and first Saturday in each month from Easter to the end of October
Admission free. Donations appreciated.
Parties by arrangement: A nominal charge of £25 is made for special opening: Contact Kay on 01579 383209 or email email@example.com